10.9.10

DiRusso's Italian Sausage

DiRusso's is a local maker of some of the best Italian sausages I've ever had.  That's not to say that I've had a lot of different Italian sausages, but these ones are far and above my favorite.


For tonight's dinner I chopped up 1/2 a yellow onion and 1 whole green bell pepper,  threw them on a sheet of aluminum foil and gave them a quick splash with olive oil.  Once the grill was heated up, they were joined by four of the still-frozen 'medium' sausages.  After about 22 minutes on the grill everything was ready.  The result:



Yes, the result is a greasy, charry, tin-foily mess, but it's OM NOM delicious.  Add a few buns, some shredded mozzarella and marinara sauce and:


The sausages, if I'd left them on a bit longer, would've probably had the nice 'snap' when bitten into and also have a bit more crunch on the casing, but all-in-all it was a pretty successful dinner.  If you look at DiRusso's website you'll see that they offer a decent variety of sausage flavors.  I don't think I've ever tried the Sweet variety and, to my dismay, haven't yet committed to a whole box of the Hot flavor.  It's not that I don't like hot stuff.... hell, if I got the hot ones I'd probably add hot sauce to them.  It just seems that the local grocers don't seem to stock a large variety of DiRusso products.... strange as how they're a local company and all.  If worse comes to worse I'll make the trip to the factory... they do have a Drive-Thru.  That's right the sausage factory has a drive-thru.  Anyway, the Medium flavor, which is what we had tonight, had just a small amount of heat.  If it were up to me, these would be Regular.  Followed in scoville units by Hot and then finally OMG IT BURNS flavors.  If you feel so compelled you can actually order DiRusso's products anywhere.  There's a sort of 'catalog' section on thier website, but it looks like you still have to actually call them to place an order.  On the whole, though, these sausages are the best Italian sausages I've chowed down on... ever.  Now, the real test will be later this week when we go to the local street fair.  I'm hoping there'll be different vendors there with Italian sausage... maybe even a DiRusso's trailer.  I'll update with my street fair food finds!

1 comments:

aumie said...

Those look incredible! I LOVE DiRusso's with some spaghetti sauce and green peppers and onions yum! Post more dude!

Post a Comment